Release Date: 2008
Developer: Rio Grande Games
Playing Time: 30 minutes
Description: Dominion is a deck-building card game in which the players compete to gather the most valuable deck of cards, representing their Kingdom.
There are five main classes of cards:
- Victory cards, which have a Victory Point value that is tallied at the end of the game, but generally have no value during the game.
- Curse cards, which are like Victory cards, but have a negative Victory Point value that counts against the player at the end of the game.
- Treasure cards, played during the Buy Phase, which generate Coins (and sometimes have other effects).
- Action cards generate effects during a player's turn, allowing that player to gain more cards, Coins, Buys, Actions, or get rid of cards, or may affect other players in the game. Some action cards have further subtypes: Attack cards negatively affect other players, and Duration cards affect future turns by the player.
- Reaction cards, which can be triggered out of turn in response to a certain event, such as other players' Attacks.
The game's main strategy is to strive to have hands that provide 8 coins for which to purchase a Province card; this often results from creating Action card chains, using cards that grant additional actions and benefits to build one's available coins to 8 or more. The game's strategy is also one where the players must balance effective deck building to reach this coin goal with the acquisition of Victory cards to win the game; Victory cards have little value during most of the game, and dilute a player's deck of Treasure and Action cards, clogging up their draws.
** Some descriptions and images provided/hosted by Wikipedia (05.2011) or original authors. All copyrights belong to their respective companies.